genealogy stories header
Home ButtonHans Georg Ziegler's Progress project ButtonContact Us Button

 

JEB Stuart

(This story was last edited on March 11, 2011, to accommodate new facts concerning the famous meeting.)


JEB Stuart
  Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart

  In June of 1863, General Robert E. Lee set out to strike the north with his Army of Northern Virginia. This long ride north required the assistance of cavalry to be employed as "the eyes and ears of the army". General J.E.B. Stuart was the commander of one of Lee's cavalry units and he set out in concert with Lee to invade Pennsylvania. His route took him and his 6,000 troops across the Potomac, into Maryland and then on to Pennsylvania.  After fighting an intense battle at Hanover, Pennsylvania, Stuart moved on across the countryside to stop for a rest and meeting with his commanders at a farmhouse tavern owned by John Epley Ziegler near Hanover Junction, Pennsylvania. 

Stuart Meeting Place John Eply Ziegler Tavern

John Epley Ziegler's Tavern, where General "JEB" Stuart met with his commanders, Hampton,
Chambliss and Fitzhugh Lee." (Photo and caption from Armand Glatfelter book cited below.)

Capstone

  The home, built in 1780 by John Epley Ziegler’s grandfather, John Bernardus Ziegler.  Uncovered in this home were an inscription on one wall that says: 

"A Jackson
M Van Buren"

A Jackson

  My feeling is that this kind of marking would have been displayed in a tavern, not a private home. It was probably John Ziegler, the son of John Bernardus Ziegler, that wrote "A Jackson  M Van Buren" on the tavern wall sometime around 1832. Jackson's running mate was Martin Van Buren during the Presidential campaign of 1832.

  There has been conjecture about whether this is the property where the famous meeting occurred. Some believe another Ziegler tavern (a now demolished stone building) nearby was the actual meeting place. I have concerns about the stone building as a meeting place for reasons that will be outlined below.

  My ancestor John Bernardus (his friends called him Barnet) Ziegler (b. 24 August 1737 - d. 31 May 1797) built the home and tavern pictured above in 1780. This home - and tavern were used as such from the first occupation by "Barnet" Ziegler. His son John Ziegler (b. 18 December 1767 - d. 9 July 1845 inherited the home and tavern upon his father's death.  John Epley Ziegler (b. 14 April 1806 - d. 19 November 1875) inherited it from his father John. The tavern was in continuous use until well after the Civil War.

  Earlier "Barnet" Ziegler was given a piece of property in 1767 consisting of 100 acres by his father Johann Philip Ziegler. "Barnet" named the property "The Chinkypin Survey". He immediately began to build a home and tavern on this site, made from stone, near the intersection of the Jefferson Road and the Patapsco Road. He applied for and was granted an original license to sell beer and cider, in 1769 and a full tavern license was granted in 1770.  Circa 1778, Barnet purchased a 500 acre farm adjacent to Chinkypin. He called this property "Finland". Shortly thereafter, he built a new, and large, brick home on "Finland" and converted the stone home, at the Jefferson and Patapsco Roads eliminating the tavern located there.

The supporters of this stone tavern as "JEB" Stuart's meeting place ask one question: "Why would Stuart's officers travel 1/2 mile off the road to get to the farther home, when this tavern was available right along the road? The answer is, of course, "That's where the booze was!" The stone tavern along the route of march was the original John Bernardus Ziegler Tavern that was first granted a tavern license in 1769. By the time Stuart's army passed by, in 1863, the tavern had moved to the newer location in John Epley Ziegler's brick home.

 The stone building had fallen into disuse.  Further, we know for a fact that John Epley Ziegler's home was a tavern. So, why would another tavern be operating only 1/2 mile from John Epley Ziegler's business and be in direct competition?   It would divide the available business and both enterprises would probably fail.

Further, we cannot find any deed transferring this property to anyone else during the time period in question. During the 1863 time frame John Epley Ziegler owned the property upon which the stone house was situated. Certainly a tenant of that home would not be allowed to operate a tavern in direct competition with the land owner.

  The following citation was found in Armand Gladfelter's book, "The Flowering of the Codorus Palatinate, A History of North Codorus Township, Penna.", published in approximately 1988, by mehl-ad associates / York, Pennsylvania - it is not copyrighted.

  Mr. Gladfelter says on page 263 of the aforementioned book, "Half a mile west of Hanover Junction, the large body of troops and captive wagons reached the old stone tavern of John Bernard (sic) Ziegler. There they halted, and Stuart called a meeting of his commanders; Hampton, Chambliss and Fitzhugh Lee in John Epley Ziegler's tavern-farm house several hundred yards down the Patapsco Road. There it was decided that Stuart should move on to new objectives, leaving the future of Hanover Junction to someone else."

  Here is an independent confirmation that the brick home owned by John Epley Ziegler was the meeting place between JEB Stuart and his commanders.


John Eply Ziegler House

   A modern photograph of the John Epley Ziegler home where JEB Stuart met with his commanders.

For an unknown reason, sometime before the Civil War, John Epley Ziegler, divided his properties amonst his two sons and his son-in-law. Israel Kohler Ziegler, John Epley Ziegler's youngest son, was given the tavern under discussion, and it was he who was living in the home when Stuart made his famous visit. John Epley Ziegler moved, with his wife, Catherine, to Cherry Street in the village of Seven Valleys.

 

 
   

 

 

Top of Page

Home | Hans Georg Ziegler Project | Contact Us
© Allen & Elaine Ziegler 2008